Thursday, September 13, 2012

U.S. International FS Classic

Greetings from Salt Lake City, Utah! I arrived this morning just in time for the Senior Short Dance. This is my first trip to Utah, and the scenery is so beautiful  with the mountains surrounding the city.

The Short Dance started with Alexandra Paul and Mitch Islam skating to Edith Piaf. They have such a lyrical style, and I'm happy to see them with two lighter programs this year that help them play to the crowd.

Madison Chock and Evan Bates were next, and they also had fun with the crowd and with each other. I loved their facial expressions and how they maintained the theme throughout the entire program, even during the Yankee Polka patterns.

Anastasia Cannuscio and Colin McManus didn't have their best day technically, but their waltz was classy and elegant, and they always have wonderful connection with each other.

It was my first time seeing Piper Gilles and Paul Poirier skate live, and I think it's going to be a great battle for Canada #3 between them and Paul/Islam. I haven't seen Kharis Ralph/Asher Hill yet this season, but they're probably in the mix, too. I appreciate that Gilles/Poirier used mostly instrumental Mary Poppins because the version with lyrics that Justyna Plutowska/Peter Gerber used before them was a little grating on the ears.


Lynn Kriengkrairut/Logan Giulietti-Schmitt looked too cute in their Western wear, and they brought great energy to their country-themed program. I loved the slide move Logan did and their straight-line lift was another highlight.

The Aussies Danielle O'Brien and Gregory Merriman continue to improve, and they kept the cowboy theme going with a fun dance to "Cotton-Eyed Joe."

After the Short Dance, I caught most of the Senior Men's Short Program. My biggest takeaway from the event was in no universe should Armin Mahbanoozadeh have lower component scores than Max Aaron.

Here are my photos from the Senior Short Dance and Men's Short Program:

2012 U.S. International Figure Skating Classic

Tomorrow I'll be at early dance practice, the Junior Pairs Short Program, some of the Senior Ladies Short Program, and the Senior Pairs Short Program. And between events - sightseeing at Olympic Park!

No comments:

Post a Comment