Thursday, February 13, 2014

2014 Olympics - Meet the U.S. Men


Today the men's event kicks off in Sochi, and the U.S. has an incredibly strong team of Jeremy Abbott and Jason Brown. Let's get to know these two fantastically talented guys!

Jeremy Abbott

Jeremy Abbott is a four-time national champion, and he trains at the Detroit Skating Club. Jeremy is a true dancer on the ice. I could see him seamlessly transitioning onto the TV show So You Think You Can Dance without missing a beat. He hasn't always been able to put all the jumps together, but his in-between skating has always been gold-medal worthy. Jeremy has a way of interpreting the music with his entire body that is beautiful to watch. My favorite program of his was his "Hometown Glory" exhibition. Every movement went perfectly with the music!



One of my favorite photos I've taken of Jeremy - from his elegant and emotional "Bring Him Home" exhibition at nationals this year:


****

Jason Brown


Jason Brown, who trains in Colorado Springs, is one of the sport's brightest young stars and simply the nicest person on the planet (I'm being totally serious). I first saw Jason skate in the novice division at nationals in 2009. He stood out because of his ponytail and his unique style. There was something very special about the way he performed so easily to the crowd at such a young age. I watched him steadily move up the ranks over the next couple of years, and then in 2011 he had a moment at nationals I'll never forget. This also ties into my favorite program of his - his Turandot long program. When he performed it at nationals that year, he had everyone on their feet before the program even ended (just as he did at 2014 nationals!)



One of my favorite photos I've taken of Jason - at the 2011 Grand Prix Final gala where he showed off his incredible flexibility:


With such a deep international men's field, this should be an intense and exciting competition. Hoping we see some amazing performances!

Don't forget to enter the Olympic Extravaganza giveaway below. The third prize will be revealed and given away on Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment